tardy, delinquent, I know, I know – but I have excuses!
I have been absent from blogging for a woefully long time and will not be writing much for a few weeks probably. Reasons:
1. moved apartments on short notice; brand new apartment, lovely and modern but a few niggling concerns
2. general surgery rotation: 6 weeks of awesomeness but also kind of exhausting; if I had ever found a non-angry female surgeon role model, I might have ponied-up for this specialty
3. norwalk outbreak – yeah, I got it, just in time for the weekend! our hospital was closed to visitors and it was pretty awesome actually. Few people showing up to the ER, few patients missing from their beds on rounds, etc. Well worth the few days of blarrrrrrrgggggggg and 8lb fluid lost.
4. migraines. have had this one on and off for the last week. bah! despite every medication I could think of, it kept coming back.
5. going to Vancouver this weekend to watch high-brow comedy by the cross-dressing Eddie Izzard ; he’s an expert at historical humour and the expertly timed call-back. This is exciting but also requires more planning than I had anticipated. Ferries, friends, etc.
6. got VACATION coming up soon; still in the scramble-planning stage. San Francisco seat sale = yes probably! Should be a great thing, but also stressed about not having a travel buddy. Friends have no time off and/or no money. Hmmm. But there are a few people who will briefly be in SF when I am intending to be there. So!
7. MAIN one: my motherboard died on my 2 year old Dell laptop. Why do I have a Dell? I don’t know. It seemed like a good idea at the time. It has been a headache (literally – see above) to get it fixed. As friendly as they are on the phone (“ma’am, I apologize for that”) they are kind of shit at getting things done. Add to that the runaround with purolator
A) call Dell, get dispatch number, get promise of empty box, they will fix it under warranty! yay, extended warranty!
B) 3 business days (5 days total) box has not arrived
C) call Dell, get tracking number
D) call Purolator – never heard of that tracking number
E) call Dell, oops, wrong tracking number! get correct one
F) call Purolator: delivery has to be ‘arranged’ Hmmm. Figure it out: my new apartment’s front door buzzer doesn’t work – and it is against Purolator’s policy to leave a note stating they had attempted delivery
G) Go to address Purolator gave me, hmmm “FOR LEASE.” That’s not good. Car honks at me as a slow down and squint as I drive by. Read new address on their little sign, drive to new place, very helpful counter staff. Just made it in the nick of time before they closed at 6pm.
H) Ship off package! Glad I brought my AC adapter. Apparently they need that bit.
I) Waiting…. waiting… I’m told it will take them 7-10 business days to fix. Then there’s the shipping back to me, and the whole dance around them not being able to buzz my suite, and not leaving a note that they’ve tried to deliver, etc.
My previous PC (tower) lasted 7 years, but I did put in new RAM, motherboard, processer, harddrive, PSU, etc. over the years. Basically, the case was the only original feature!
Time to get a Mac?